Thursday, December 10, 2015

Full Circle - Final Reflections

With each of the stories I have just shared with you I would like to bring your attention to the commonalities of them both:

  • 1. Both ladies are now deceased:
  •  2. I knew and loved both of them
  • 3. They affected me deeply just by the way they did what they did
  • 4. They were beautiful! One the color of the sun and the other the warmest of pecan
Their parting has left me open. Their abscence forces me to put into action what they have taught me. So it stands to reason that if I was being taught then someone had to do the teaching right? Death. 

It is our final enemy. The Lord promises to deal with it when He returns. To destroy it. However, in the mean time I will not let it defeat me nor keep me down. It's lessons are painful but honest. Final and long lasting.

 Death is a great reminder to walk thru this life with my hands open. Ready to give, ready to receive never clinging on to anything because what I own will not be taken with me. I am not speaking of tangible assets, (cars, homes, jewelry, stocks). I am talking about my legacy. What people will take from having interaction with me. Whether for a long season or a short one. That is what will live long after I enter my rest. 

Death has taught me the irony of separation...a person may be gone physically but their memory lives on. They may not be able to share a teachable moment with me or you anymore, but what they have taught us we use daily. 

It is hard when we can't hear their laughter or see their smiles any more. It is difficult to not be able to smell the scent of their perfume or the aroma of their holiday feast. There are no words that I can use that will put a band aid on your hurt or my own. I just know that GOD is close to the brokenhearted so we are not alone. 

Even more interesting is the notion that when death takes, we gain. What death parts is remade in other ways. What death ends gives birth to determination new. Today it is my teacher but it will never be my master. I will live for me and for all of those who have gone before me and for those who are coming after me.

-sj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seasons! Pt. 2

 Seasons! Pt. 2 Romans 8:28 says 28  And we know that in all things God works for the good  of those who love Him , who [ a ]  have been ca...